Hello m'fellow Trustinvoguers and newbies!! To venture away a little from my usual Fashion & Beauty orientated posts, I've gone for something a little bit more, shall we say, 'lifestyle' today. I'm going to be showing you, how to bake THE most scrumptious mouth-watering cake that was ever baked. Well, maybe to not that extend - but it is damn tasty! Follow the step by step below, and see how I made a DELICIOUS chocolate button cake. *you can use a different topping if you wish*
For the cake:
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 350g/12½oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 free-range eggs
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/9fl oz boiling waterFor the Icing:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line two sandwich/cake tins. I simply used butter.
2. For the cake, place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
3. Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The cake mixture will now be very liquid.)
4. Divide the cake batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch
5. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely, still in their tins, before icing
6. LEAVE THE ICING FOR 1-2 HOURS AFTER. For the chocolate icing, heat chocolate (I used some Dr Okter Chocolate I think!) and the double cream together in a saucepan. However, only do this until the chocolate melts! Then take it off the heat, and whisk/stir until the mixture is thick and almost, glossy.
7. To assemble the cake, run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the cake tins to loosen the cakes. Carefully remove the cakes from the tins.
8. Spread a little bit of icing across on top of one of the cakes, then carefully put the other half of the cake on top.
9. Transfer the cake onto a plate, and spread the chocolate icing evenly across the top and sides if you wish.
10. Add decorations! For my chocolate cake, I added chocolate buttons - yum!
whisk the eggs!
put it all in the bowl...
measure out veg oil!
Until it reaches this consistency!
For the icing, add the chocolate and double cream to heat..
Take off the heat once choc has melted, and whisk!
Looking lovely and risen in the oven!
spreading the icing...
adding the chocolate buttons!
Woah-lah! The end result!
What do you think to my Chocolate Button Cake?
As always, let me know!
Lots of love, Hannah xoxo
Youtube: Trust in Vogue